11/21/08

MetalClay Photo Album - Private Collection

Are you ever curious about the jewelry worn by the maker? Is it their favorite piece? Would they ever sell it? Is it one of a kind?

Chances are the jewelry they make and wear is either their favorite or they are trying out a new design and seeing how it sits. I know when I make something new, I try it on and maybe wear it for a few days. First to show it off and second to see if the design works... Does the chain hang properly? Is the heaviest part in the right place? What does it look like when I see it in the mirror? Is it light or heavy? Looking at it, being with it and seeing glimpses of it from different angles and also NOT seeing it. Feeling it's presence on the body.

If it is right, how do I know?

If it isn't right, how can I improve it?

Most people don't think about it but the jewelry maker does.

The following are some pieces of work done by members of our team who were willing to share pieces from their "private collection". These are pieces that they have made, are very meaningful to them, and perhaps are so attached to them that they may never sell them. They are their best pieces right now. You won't see them in their shops... yet. Take a look.

Joni Doyle of Soul Harbor Jewelry
"Earth Hanging in the Balance"
.

.
Joni says "Some pieces become part of us, for whatever reason, and parting with them becomes impossible. This is just one item that I'm not able to sell, no price would cover what it means to me. I have other pieces that carry great emotion as well and will be with me forever."

Jennifer Smith Righter of Wearable By Design

"Turntables"
.

.
Jennifer says " I came across a photo spread of beautiful, high-end turntables from the 60's and thought they were so gorgeous, geeky and would make a fabulous bracelet."

She also makes complicated moving pieces and I saw her wearing this stunning necklace the other day.

"Cirque2"
.

.
Sue Urquhart of Lulubugjewelry

"Stan"
.

.
Sue says "This is the piece I wear every day... it's very personal. In September my 25 year old Cockatiel Stan, who had been with me since 1984, got sick. I knew it was the end of the road for him, 25 is ancient for a Cockatiel. I made this piece from a favorite photo of him, and I wear it all the time. It's very comforting, especially since I had it while he was still here with me. "

Lora Hart of LoraHartJewels

"Kokoshnik"
.

.
the flip side
.

.
Lora says "The shape reminded me of Russian folk headdresses and onion domes, so I looked up their name and voila! I took creative license of course."

Bev Gallerani of MangoTango Designs

"Moonrise, St. Lucia"
.

.
This was one of the pieces I displayed at the Artisans' Guild of Cape Cod jurying session that helped me get in. It's my current favorite."

And then there are my pieces.

I'm always wearing 3 bracelets at once.
.

.
I like to mix - colors, techniques, metals and media. This pin is metal clay with small silver and 22K gold balls floating in resin. It's the first one I made and my favorite one and I don't think I could ever sell it.
.

.
With what are you adorning yourself?

5 comments:

Vickie Hallmark said...

Incredible! I had a silent "aaah" as each image came onto my screen. Wonderful to see the artist's favorite selections.

Lora Hart said...

What a great idea Catherine! And a really well written article above. Loving this blog!

WearableByDesign said...

Fabulous!!

Sue said...

Lora, I love your faux bone piece! I have got to find time to experiment with it more. Really nice work everyone.

Lora Hart said...

Thanks so much Miss Sue! I haven't played with FB since. Let's have a play date!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...