11/6/08

You Tube Thursday - Flexible Clay

Some folks think that the most frustrating thing about working with metal clay is how fast it dries out. I'm always telling my students to use more pressure, work faster and make sure to keep the clay covered and away from the air as much as possible. Wouldn't it be great to be able to take all the time in the world to create intricate designs?  

At the 2004 PMC Conference in Albuquerque, Jay Humphries introduced a new product she had developed called Veneer Solution.  You would add a special liquid to the clay, mix and then apply whatever texture you wanted to work with.  When the solution had been fully absorbed and had time to cure, you'd have a perfectly flexible textured sheet similar to metal clay sheet/paper. The design possibilities were endless. The metal clay community was so excited to try this wonderful new technique out.

Woven Pendant by Hadar Jacobson

Quilt by Hadar Jacobson

Flash forward a few years and Hadar Jacobson developed her own method of making flexible textured clay. This video gives a really great demonstration and makes it look so simple that I may try it this afternoon!


1 comment:

HappyDayArt! said...

I like that quite a lot. I didn't know about this either although I suspected it with glycerin. I just never had the patience to do it. I'm going to try it too! Thanks Lora!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...